Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Returning to Our New "Normal"

Last week, our morning wake-ups started extending a little later each day.  During the school year once Sam and Anna had stopped their morning bottle, our routine had been to wake them at 6:50 am to get out the door and to daycare before 7:30 am.  It was my dream/wish/goal to get them to start waking up later throughout the summer so I could get a little extra shut eye.  Teaching both our dogs to sleep in worked- so why not our children too, right?  (I am fully aware that this was an extremely lofty goal, and almost certain to fail.  But a girl can dream!)

I thought the key would be to push back bedtime a little each day, and then hopefully Sam and Anna would start waking up a little later to continue getting their typical 11 1/2 hours of night sleep in.  To my surprise, Sam and Anna started sleeping in on their own, without a later bedtime!  Last week we had a few 8 am get ups!  Then a 10 am wake up (granted, this followed an unusually difficult night with lots of time awake at night) and a 9 am wake up the morning after that!  I was ecstatic!

Then Sam woke up at 5:15 on Monday morning.  I don't think there's really ever been a time that he woke that early but didn't fall back asleep on his own.  I managed to get him to go back to sleep at 6:15 and he slept until 7:30 am.  I was worried that my streak of good fortune had ended (if there's one thing I've learned as a parent so far, it is that things are always changing- so never get too comfortable that anything will last for long!). 

Lo and behold, Sam and Anna slept in until 8:30 am this morning.  That's 13 hours total of nighttime sleep.  Awesome!  Maybe sleeping in for a few days wasn't just a fluke?

Then it dawned on me- the 4 hour one-a-day naps hadn't happened for a while.  Sam had only been taking a 2 hour nap in the afternoon lately.  It appears I traded nap sleeping time for an extra hour or so of shut-eye in the morning.  Do I mind?  Not really.  I prefer getting a little extra sleep myself in the mornings.  But boy, I did like those 4 hour long naps!

6 comments:

Lauren said...

I know I say this everytime you post about your kids' sleep, but YOUR KIDS SLEEP SO MUCH!! I am SO JEALOUS! Noah sleeps 12 to 12.5 hours TOTAL in a 24 hour period. Sometimes he makes it to 13 hours total, but very rarely.

I am insanely jealous. I just can't even imagine what it would be like to have that many extra hours be childless.

B. said...

Bliss!
I was feeling sorry for myself getting up at 6:45, but I met a mom at the library who's toddler gets up at 5 a.m. no matter what she does.
I guess the babies are going to sleep as much as they need to.

Paula Keller said...

That's awesome!

My Lauren has an internal alarm at like 5:55AM and has kept to it! They get 11 hours at night and maybe 3ish during the day. I will say though, they have FINALLY gotten used to napping in their cribs and are very consistant. My only dilemma is should I nap also, should I read, or should I get things done around the house. SUCH a nice dilemma to have! LOVING this summer so far!

Kerri said...

Hahaha, I can't wait to read Lauren's comment on this post since you said Sam is "only" taking a 2 hour nap now. Katie, I hope you realize that your kids are phenomenal sleepers. Truly, they are. I am thrilled that Camden sleeps through the night, even if it means he's up at 6am (which he usually is). And a 4 hour nap?! Really?? Wow! Camden took a 3 hour nap the other day and I kept checking on him to make sure he was okay! Enjoy your awesome little sleepers!!

Allison said...

Oh My Goodness. I am so completely jealous of you right now. My son still gets up 4-5 times a night and I'm very lucky if he gets 2 hours of naps throughout the day. Usually it's more like 40 minutes all day long!!! Enjoy your little sleepers ;)

Kendra said...

Seriously. Your kids are INCREDIBLE sleepers!!!!

Jealous over here.

As you read, we've been having insanely early wake ups here. I'm putting my foot down about it...we'll see...