Sunday, November 20, 2011

Numbers

In the last 24 days, I have solo-parented for 16 of them.  That means my husband was home for 8 days of the last 24.  In those 8 days, I had two long days at school for conferences, meaning that I barely had time to see Sam or Anna during their awake time.  That means in the last 24 days, I've had 6 "normal" days. 

While doing it all on my own taking care of two 20 month olds and working full time in charge of 21 5 and 6 year olds during the day doesn't seem so difficult anymore, it has definitely exhausted me to a level comparable with twin babies in a sleep regression or twin newborns exhaustion.  I've seriously slacked on photo taking, blog posting, commenting, house cleaning and other things Inot worth mentioning.  We've got an okay routine down but I am looking forward to a little parenting help again.  During the past month, Sam and Anna have learned that after our bedtime story, they should walk to their cribs in their room and wait to be lifted in.  While I kind of like this new development, it does make them seem awfully grown up.

My biggest nemesis?  Cooking meals.  Ugh.  I cannot wait until I do not have to come up with what myself and two toddlers should eat and then prepare it while entertaining said toddlers all by myself.  I'm getting a little tired of mac and cheese, pasta, and chicken nuggets too. A cook I am NOT. (obviously, if our diet has consisted of mac and cheese, pasta and chicken nuggets, ha!)

My solo parenting days draw to a close tonight, and that should be it until mid January, thank goodness.  I don't think their will be another time as bad as this for at least another year.  The past 24 days have been one heck of a ride with crazy parents of students, illness of my own children, teething, bad weather, and work stresses, but I'd like to get off now, thank you very much.  Time to divvy up the responsibilities of child rearing again!

4 comments:

Lauren said...

Sounds completely exhausting!

Julia said...

Woah! That sounds completely overwhelming! Brad just got back after only three days of being gone. I can't imagine 16!! Goodness!

Hopefully you will be able to find some time to rest and recharge yourself with a helping hand around again :)

Suzanne said...

I totally understand how exhausting that must have been. I've only had my twins alone for a weekend and I was ready for Daddy to come home. Kudos to you - you did it! AND, everyone survived!

Kendra said...

I am so impressed!! I seriously can't imagine Dave being gone that much...I could cry just thinking about it!!