Sunday, November 15, 2009

Bedding

Once we found out we were having a boy and a girl, bedding has been a little bit of a difficult decision for us (me). I didn't spend much time before finding out the genders thinking about what to do, because there were three different possibilities (boy/boy, girl/girl, or boy/girl) and I didn't want to waste time thinking about something that only had a 33% chance of happening. Having two of the same gender would have been so easy to decide, but one of each has proven to be difficult. Knowing that we will not use the bumpers (not safe) and not really use the quilt in a set in the crib, I was having a hard time justifying plopping down the hundreds of dollars for two crib bedding sets that we would only really use the sheet and skirt from. So I started looking more at bedding separates- skirts and sheets.

It seemed like to go gender neutral, we were pretty much stuck with jungle or farm themes. I just couldn't find a jungle theme that I liked that wasn't too boyish and would go with our white furniture. I wasn't sure I even wanted a "theme." Then I saw these:I like how they go together, but aren't exactly the same. I like how they have white in them to go with our furniture and brown in them to go with our carpet. So I bought them! Our girl's bedding is predominately pink with brown, white, and sage green; while our boy's bedding is predominately sage green with brown, white, and blue.

My amazingly talented friend, Sara, had also told me she wanted to make quilts for our babies (another reason why the bedding sets seemed like a waste of money for us). I am so blessed to have such a kind and caring friend! Last Sunday we went to pick out fabric. She got started on them right away- here is a sneak peek of two of the blocks she has put together so far (notice the fabrics that will be in both quilts):
They will go perfectly with the bedding we've already purchased. Sara is also thinking about making coordinating wall hangings using the same fabric, maybe a valance, etc.- she's so crafty, I am so excited to see how it all ties together! I cannot wait until the quilts are done!
Now to decide on a wall color...

8 comments:

Lucky Jones said...

I love it! I am trying really hard to figure out what I want too...we want something that will go with our personal style, but also something that says "baby".. but not something that screams it, like Noah's Ark or Winnie the Pooh (blech!)... I am into owls and elephants right now, like the vintage style, and I found a cute set that has vintage elephants embroidered in outlines on a green background... it was cute, not too cutesy... the accent is like the polka dot pattern you have...

But ugh, it's so hard finding things that we both agree on, in our price range, and will work for us! Lucky I have a little more time, right?

And I am jealous of you for having a friend to make those beautiful quilts! Love the fabrics!!

BB said...

Those are some beautiful choices and they compliment each other well!

I have been hooked on to Amazon.com for most of the baby stuff! You might want to check it out... they have some real good quality pricey stuff for very low prices. I am hoping to see some good deals in stores during Thanksgiving!

Your baby shower is just 2 weeks away! Yay!!! I am so excited for you! :)

Courtney said...

So cute! I wish I was crafty like your friend. I always tell people that God made me to be appreciative of other people's craftiness because I do not possess any of my own. :-)

Anna said...

I love those sets! Will you post an update and tell us where you found them?

Heidi said...

Adorable!

I highly recommend the breathable bumpers if you find one or both of your babies likes to stick their arms/legs out of the slats.

This part of the planning stage was the most fun for me. I hope you are enjoying it.

Ellie said...

Oh Katie! They are so cute! Good pick! Decorating the nursery is so much fun. I know you're going to make it look amazing!

Anonymous said...

For all of my sheets, diaper pad cover, blankets, etc I picked out the exact same pink polka dot pattern! I love it! Good choice. And the quilts just couldn't be more beautiful. Your babies will be sleeping in style :)

Anonymous said...

Katie,
The bedding is perfect! I also love the quits! You are very lucky to have a great friend. You'll do great at decorating the babies' room - can't wait to see!
Kelly
P.S. I was thinking of you this morning as I was watching the news - WFRV was featuring a local Appleton lady who has created jewelry to promote awareness of infertility - I think it speaks of you well... hope - resilience - love - courage.