Sunday, December 27, 2009

Sleep Issues

Within the last week, my sleeping pattern has changed. I had been pretty thankful for most of this pregnancy so far that I was only making one or maybe two bathroom trips a night. I occasionally woke up with back pain, but was still able to get good chunks of sleep in. But now my sleeping pattern is totally different.

Since my hospital stay, I've been waking up about ever two hours to go to the bathroom. I still limit my drinking for a few hours before I go to bed, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. It is disappointing how little I actually go when I do plod to the bathroom- I think, "I woke up for that?" Then when I waddle back into bed I have the hardest time falling back asleep. Sometimes I think hunger is keeping me up, so I trek to the kitchen to see what I can find. But if I eat something, then I usually get heartburn or acid reflux before I can fall asleep again.

Other times, after I am back in bed my head doesn't let me fall back asleep- I immediately get consumed with thoughts about the long list of things left to be done. It usually goes like this: paint the room (choose a color), wash clothes, changing pad cover, diaper bag, window coverings, mobiles, pack hospital bag, diapers, wipes, wall art, twin nursing pillow, miracle blanket, baby books, update registry, get school stuff done,... paint the room, wash clothes, changing pad cover, diaper bag... (over and over again)

So here it is 6 am on a Sunday morning (keep in mind this is coming from a girl who up until months ago could sleep in until 11 am any day) and I'm sitting on the couch, running through the list in my brain once again, while my husband will be peacefully slumbering for probably another 5 hours. I figure I'll let him, because his days are numbered, too.

6 comments:

sweetpeanme said...

Awwww...I'm sorry you're not sleeping too well! I feel like I've been sleeping better on the break without the stresses of work keeping me awake in between my two nightly potty breaks...but the daily potty breaks have been a lot more frequent lately (and as you say...I often think..."I came in here and felt like it was almost an emergency for THAT?") I guess I'd better prepare myself for the nightly visits to start increasing in number as well!

I also have been waking up more frequently with hunger pains...which had stopped for the past month and a half...I've been trecking downstairs and getting a large glass of milk...which I figure will give me some fat, protein and won't give me heartburn....but alas...then I have to use the bathroom again. We just can't win.

It makes me go crazy how little time we have left! I always though...wow...can't wait til Christmas...that means they'll almost be here....now its like...IT'S PAST CHRISTMAS....THEY'LL BE HERE SOON...WHY DO I NOT HAVE MORE DONE???!!! :o)

I feel you girl. I hope you get a lot accomplished on this break so that you can simply focus on those last few weeks of teaching before your little ones come.

Kerri said...

Maybe your body is starting to prepare you for your new sleep cycle...you will definitely be up every couple of hours soon! I remember having those same issues for the last couple of months. It was frustrating b/c everyone would say, "Get your sleep while you can!" but pregnancy sleep (in late pregnancy) is not exactly restful either!

Paula Keller said...

I'm only 12 weeks and I've been getting up at least three times every night. I'm hoping I get a reprieve during the 2nd trimester! I think sometimes even if I just shift sides in bed it makes me have to go, and like you - it's disappointing how much.

I have heard that whole thing Kerri is talking about, that your body is getting you ready for ahem... sleep deprivation. :P Ugg!

Courtney said...

I'm sorry that you're having a hard time sleeping now. I hope that it is just temporary.

Hoping for our own Peanut said...

OOh, no fun! I had a lot of trouble sleeping toward the end, with only one baby in me! I was bad at having my "to-do's" running through my head, too. I wish I had a solution I could offer.

Maybe try napping so youre not super exhausted? Or change the time you climb into bed?

Nothing may help much. Like everyone said, its preparing you for being up with babies. But, Ill tell ya, getting up to a sweet angel needing you is MUCH more enjoyable that getting up to pee. ;)

Lauren said...

I understand. Be thankful you've made it this far before you started sleeping like that. I've never ever been a good sleeper, and pregnancy has made me much much worse.

Isn't the peeing thing frustrating? I feel like I'm going to explode and then there's just a mild trickle.