Sam is utterly exhausting me these days. He's into everything- like a mini cyclone moving from one thing to the next in our home. No matter where our dog goes, he's chasing her and showering her with affection- whether our dog is in the mood, or not.
In the kitchen, he's opening the refrigerator and trying to take things off the shelves. Once I put out that fire, he's splashing in or attempting to dump over the dog's water dish. If I block that area with my body, he's pushing buttons on the dishwasher and starting the cycle hundreds of times a day. He's attempting to pull things out of the drawers above the childproofed cabinets. I fear that it is only a matter of time before he's scaling the counter and climbing on top of the refrigerator- probably while my back is turned to wipe up the wet messes he's left behind. The kid-friendly things in the kitchen just aren't appealing to him anymore.
If I redirect him to the dining room, he's moving the heavy chairs and tipping them over. No one's gotten crushed by a chair, thank goodness- at least not yet. He's climbing on top of the chairs to try to get on top of the table.
In the living room, he's pushing buttons on the tv, opening the fireplace doors to try to play in the ashes, or using the Leapfrog table as a stepping stool to climb onto the bay window ledge. Or he's getting ready to dive bomb off the couches, headfirst onto the floor... or onto an unsuspecting Anna.
If he notices the bathroom door is open, he's unwinding toilet paper and trying to eat it. He's flushing the toilet over and over, or trying to chew on the plunger handle. (At least nothing that doesn't belong there has gone IN the toilet yet.) He's channeling his inner Tarzan with the shower curtain.
In the bedrooms he's opening and closing drawers or closet doors like he's in a race car race- showing no mercy to Anna's fingers if they get in the way! He's turning the laundry baskets over to use as a stepping stool to climb higher. He's reorganzing clothing from drawers by spreading it all over the floor.
I almost forgot to add that one of his newest favorite activities is to tackle Anna while she's flat on her back for a diaper change. As if changing wiggly toddlers that resist diaper changes isn't challenge enough!
Anna's into things, but not to this extent, thank goodness. It takes almost all of my time just keeping Sam out of trouble lately. This part of toddlerhood, I could do without.
But on the other hand- Sam's exhibiting his caring and loving ways on a whole new level nowadays. If I tell Sam and Anna to go get their shoes to go out, he grabs Anna's first, and brings them to her or me, before he gets his own. He helps put our dog in her kennel when we leave, and lets her out when we get home. Our dog Bella might not always be in the mood for his attention, but his doggy cuddles for her are adorable. He knows that we clean up before doing something else like eat in our chairs, take a bath or go somewhere, so often he'll start cleaning up if I tell him we're going to do something else, and always helps me clean up if I ask. The other night, he heard the bath water filling up the tub and started picking up toys on his own without being prompted.
Now this part of toddlerhood, I hope he never loses. :)
10 comments:
Sam sounds just like Stella! :)
I'm exhausted just reading your post!
Shaking in my boots here!
How are his ears (ear?)? Better?
Hope you get some rest when he's not at play. And maybe some chocolate or coffee. :)
You just described my Christopher to the tee! On the brightside, I guess our kids are normal if they are both doing it! :)
Oh my goodness! Sounds like you have your hands full! :)
As you know from my post last week, I am going through the exact same thing with Noah.
Minus the cleaning up his toys thing. I'd love it if Noah was doing that before we moved onto new activities!
Oh wow!! I've heard that there is a distinct difference between toddler boys and girls. A lot of my friends that have boys have to deal a lot more in the exploration area. It really is true that boys have more of an adventurous risk taking side. Your days sound MORE than exhausting. I can't even imagine having 2 toddlers, one of which that is looking for trouble around every corner!!!
Oh my gosh I am RIGHT there with you!!
Luke has been SOOOOOOOOO busy lately I feel like he is going to put me in a retirement home any day now! He is into EVERYTHING and I feel like I spend all day re-directing him. Abbey is a lot like Anna. Into things, but not nearly to the extent her brother is.
It's exhausting just to read- I look forward to those days! NOT! ;)
It sounds like you could write a children's book about Sam! So sweet that he is a good little helper despite all of his action. :) And I second or third, I'm exhausted just reading it all. You have got to be pooped!
Post a Comment