Saturday, July 7, 2012

Mama Loves Puddle Jumpers

We've only used our puddle jumper lifejackets a few times and I'm already sold.  I really wanted to get them last summer for Sam and Anna after reading lots of great things about them, but my little peanuts were nowhere near the bottom end of the weight range.  This summer, Anna still doesn't meet the weight range of 30-50 lbs (and Sam may not either, but I haven't weighed him recently), but she's close so I got a pair of puddle jumpers for my duo anyway (always used under close supervision, of course).


Sam and Anna have regular life jackets (from last summer) that we still use on boat rides, but for swimming the puddle jumpers are much better by far.  With the other ones we have, Sam and Anna seem so restricted in them.  They seem so much more comfortable in the puddle jumpers even when they aren't in the water yet.  After one trip using the puddle jumpers, I can picture taking Sam and Anna to a waterpark now, even though they can't swim yet.



If you are not familiar with these life jackets, they are sort of a cross between a traditional life jacket and water wings.  They are sturdy, comfortable, and cute. I like that the Puddle Jumper is short in the front and open in the back (except for the strap and buckle) and therefore much less restricting than a full life vest, yet is still categorized as a Type V US Coast Guard Approved Life Jacket with Type III performance (which means that it must be buckled in the back and is good for general boating in calm, inland waters, or where there is a good chance for fast rescue).  You can get them just about anywhere lifejackets are sold from Target to Amazon (where I bought ours).


3 comments:

Meegs said...

We just got puddle jumpers this year too! Definitely love them.

Hoping for our own Peanut said...

We are in love with PJ too! Trevor has the same ones as Sam..from Amazon too. Smart Mama's. ;)

Julia said...

I have heard so many great things about Puddle Jumpers! I think we're gonna have to invest! I like that they're both a life jacket and water wings. Right now we're doing water wings and an inner tube, but I don't like how easily they can slip out of the inner tube. This seems like a great solution!