Thursday, March 25, 2010

Twins... But Yet So Different

One of the unique aspects of having twins is that you have an instant way to notice each babies quirks and personalities through side by side comparison. While I'm not going to make a habit of constantly comparing my children throughout their life, it has been fascinating to see how similar and how very different they are in only two short weeks. If there was only one baby in our household right now, I don't think I would pick up on as many of their unique traits.

Sam:
Sam is such a wiggle worm and has been since he first arrived in the hospital. He is also very strong and even lifted his head by himself while pushing up with his arms in the hospital bassinet. Sam hates being changed and naked... I have a feeling this will change as he gets older though! Sam is very vocal- his grunts and wheezes while feeding crack me up. While asleep he tends to raise his eyebrows. He also sticks his bottom lip out when he's sleeping. Sam is the more impatient twin, and simply cannot wait for you to get a bottle to his mouth fast enough- boy, does he let you know it! He also wants to be held most of the time, although this is something he will have to learn won't happen as much as he wants. Sam also hates bath time! While he looks more like my husband, I can tell he has my nose and ears. I'm pretty sure he's got serious dimples that I can't help but plant a kiss on. His hair poofs up, just like his daddy, too!

Anna:
Anna is our silent observer. She loves to stare at faces or out into space for long periods of time without moving. While Sam is a ferocious eater, Anna is slow and steady... which usually results in her finishing before Sam (reminds me of the story of the race between turtle and hare- slow and steady wins the race). She is pretty quiet while eating too. Anna tends to be a sloppy eater with dribbles going all over the place. She usually has pretty juicy burps too. Anna is content during most wet diaper changes, and will often stay asleep through them, despite best efforts to rouse her. While sleeping Anna will push her top lip to one side and the bottom lip to the other side. She likes when her body is submerged during bath times. Anna likes to wrinkle her forehead, like she's very unhappy with you for whatever it is that you are doing. But when she's angry- boy, she really lets you know it! Anna has more of my features, but like Sam, has their dad's long monkey toes.

There was a time during IF when I wasn't sure any children we had would have either my or my husband's features. For the past nine months, like any pregnant person, I wondered what my children would look like. Unlike most pregnant people, I can also say that the thought had crossed my mind once or twice that there could have been a mix up at the clinic and either eggs/sperm/or embryos could have been switched and a child I gave birth to could have looked like neither one of us. Now that they are here, I have been surprised how much Anna looks like pictures of me as a newborn, and how much Sam looks like my husband's newborn pictures. I didn't really think they would look dramatically similar, but yet I am surprised how different they look. They are so very different, but like any mother of multiple children, I love them equally. It is amazing to finally be able to understand that kind of motherly love for two children- the kind of love my own mother has for my brother and I.

4 comments:

Lucky Jones said...

Aww I love it! I'm wondering if mine will be similar to how they are now - my son is so mellow and chill and my daughter can be so feisty! I guess we will find out soon!

It's so neat hearing all about your babies - it's getting me all excited for mine! And it's so funny how we all thought I'd go first - now i'm the last of the twin mommies lol!

Courtney said...

I love this post! I'm so glad that you're enjoying motherhood. My husband and I have had the same thoughts about mix-ups with IVF. We both have dark brown hair and dark brown eyes, so we've teased that if we end up with a child who has blonde hair and blue eyes there might be a problem!

Spit Happens said...

Thank you for sharing all the fun details between the two. I love the way you described each of them. It sounds like they are a beautiful mix of you and Jake. I love it. What an amazing gift!

Paula Keller said...

Awesome! What a great post!

We had a 3D u/s and I think baby b has my husband's chin, or lack thereof. hehe! It's cute. :)