Saturday, April 3, 2010

Baby Update

Since my last two posts were about other family members, I figured I should really post a baby update!

Last Sunday, we had a really rough sleep night. We switched up a few things: started giving them both Mylicon drops, switched back to the old formula, and attempted to have both babies sleep in their own cribs the next night. Monday night was much, much better. So I begrudgingly accepted that our babies will now sleep in their cribs. I did not envision this happening for a few months- we have a co-sleeper in our room and I wanted the closeness of having the two of them right there. I also wanted them to like sleeping with each other- I have to admit I am a little sad that it seems like it doesn't matter to each one whether they have a bunkmate or not. But good sleep for everyone is a strong motivating factor in where the babies are. Sleep at night has been better all around for every member of our family since that night, so I guess it is evident that the right choice was made. A bonus to the cribs: we discovered that the mobiles we have work really well in helping sleepy babies close their eyes. My goal is sleeping through the night at 6-8 weeks. I am really, really hoping we can meet this goal!

My parents came to visit and help this week. They left today, and I am glad. While they were overall helpful and it was worth it to have the extra help for the first full week that my husband was back at work, I am looking forward to just the four of us for a few days until my in-laws visit at the end of this week. Wish me luck for my first solo week with 5 days in a row!

This week we had a number of firsts: Anna hit over 6 lbs, ditched the car seat bed, and rolled over for the first time. For my husband's birthday, we went out to dinner and left Sam and Anna home with "babysitters" (my parents) for the first time as well. I am proud to say I didn't call once and we even managed to talk about a few other things besides the babies. We also had our first poop blowout today. Newborn size clothes are fitting better and better. Sam has officially outgrown preemie clothes, while Anna only has a few preemie things that still fit. Sam and Anna also went out to eat for the first time Saturday with their grandma and grandpa. They both slept the entire time and did great! We went to church for the first time too, to celebrate Easter. Again, they both slept the entire time and did great- which was a relief! (Although Anna did have a very last minute poop-n-pee problem that required a quick outfit change and made us a minute late, but who cares?... I figure we now have two great built-in excuses to be late for things now!) I tried to take pictures of their cute Easter outfits- but holy moly, it is IMPOSSIBLE to get two newborns to look good for a picture at the same time!

New pictures:

Sleeping babies are so cute- good thing they sleep a lot!

I attempted an amateur photo shoot this week: epic FAIL.
Other photos from our week:Their cheeks have gotten so much more chubby since they were born!

5 comments:

Lucky Jones said...

So so sweet... :) And maybe they are just sick of each other after spending 37 weeks together LOL!

Thanks for the comment - I have had a difficult day of feeling overwhelmed and not mentally prepared, but your words made me feel so much better :)

Oh, and next time you try an amateur photo session, turn the heat up or use a space heater, I have heard that calms them down quite a bit. I used to be a photographer and although I have never down NB photos I am going to try it with my babies. I still have some of my gear so we will see how much I remember lol!

twondra said...

They are sooo cute and precious! Glad you were able to sleep better but that sucks that they had to sleep in separate cribs already when you weren't prepared for that. :(

But they are just sooooo adorable! :)

Kate said...

Awww. So beautiful, all 3 of you!

sweetpeanme said...

Chubby Chubby Chubby!! They are too cute! Glad you figured out some good sleeping arrangements!! Sleep is key I'm learning!! :o)

Andrea said...

such cuties:) so glad they are getting nice and fat! love the chubby cheeks!