isn't happy with my appearance. At all.
"I know it's only been 5 weeks. I know that I grew two healthy babies. And I know that it will take time, I was larger than life so it takes time to shrink, it's all worth it and any of that other logical BS you throw at me. Believe me, I know it. But it doesn't mean I'm any happier with myself. " Danse said this on her blog months ago- and I wholeheartedly agree.
I gained a whopping 70 pounds from my "normal" weight pre-IVF to the last weigh-in a few days before I gave birth (Dude- that's like carrying around two smaller kindergartners. No wonder I was in more pain than you can imagine). I justified that gain because a.) I was carrying TWO babies, people- which means twice the amniotic fluid, double the placenta weight, etc. and b.) I was a smaller person pre-pregnancy (I so miss my size 4 pants) and had heard several times that the smaller you are, the more weight you typically gain. c.) I lucked out in the morning sickness department and only threw up twice- and it wasn't even that much those two times, so I didn't have that way of losing lots of calories when I was ravenous 24/7 back then.
I lost 40 pounds in the first three weeks. It was amazing! I felt like I could literally see the difference day by day. Then the next week I hopped on the scale, and... no change. Hopped on the scale the following week, and discovered only a few pounds missing. Right now I still look pregnant.
My wardrobe is more pathetic than ever. I remember feeling tired of the limited clothing I could wear at the end of being pregnant, and I wish I had that many options now. I still am wearing maternity pants if I go out in public. At home I wear stretchy bottoms, feeling at least a little good that those aren't still maternity wear. I wear my largest T-shirts or my husband's T's. I wear sweatshirts. That's it- my entire wardrobe. Soon I'll be heading back to work. Comfy pants and T-shirts aren't going to cut it there. I have been holding off buying any clothes- because optimistic me says that soon I'll be smaller and the new stuff won't fit for long anyway. Plus, it's depressing to try it all on. I tried on a pair of jeans 4 sizes larger than my old size (thinking that at least my jeans wouldn't be maternity anymore) last weekend and they still wouldn't button. Very, very depressing.
My stomach looks droopy, stretchmarky and deflated. It jiggles. I can't tell if my uterus is still stretched contributing to my belly or if that's just my belly. God, I hope not. Either way, it's not a pretty sight. I'll live with the stretchmarks happily if the rest returns to my old self. I can't fathom that happening even in my wildest dreams, though.
Next week is my 6 week postpartum appointment, where I should get cleared to resume all normal activity. I prepared this week by ordering Jillian Michael's 3 DVD set. 30 Day Shred, here I come. No More Trouble Zones: I've got a challenge for you. When I'll find the time for those, I don't know. But I don't think my power walks with the double stroller are going to erase the back fat and belly overhang I'm rockin' right now, among other areas of excess fat. I also ordered a pair of Spanxs. Two of the mean teachers in my grade have personal trainers- I am NOT going back to school without doing everything I can to make the lumps, bumps and jiggles disappear as much as possible.
I am scared that I'll never be able to wear my old clothes again. I am scared that the belly overhang is going to be there forever. I am scared that I'll never embrace the body that I have ever again- and it took many years from high school to my twenties to get there in the first place.
10 comments:
I used a belly bandit and my stomach shrank back to being totally flat in a week's time. I know I only carried one baby, but I was extremely protuberant. My belly shot straight out. I'm also not someone who loses weight easily. So maybe you might try using a belly bandit? If nothing else, it'll hold you in so those mean teachers don't see your lumps, bumps, and jiggles.
Wow! I can completely relate to this post. Thanks for posting it. It's exactly how I feel too.
Girl, I understand 100%! I started Weight Watchers six weeks ago and I've already lost 22 pounds! I hate exercising and NEVER do it, but with WW you don't have to exercise...just stick to their diet (which is not that hard to stick to)! And don't go buy jeans that fit you....I spent $35 on a pair that actually fit just so I wouldn't have to wear maternity pants anymore and they only fit for like a week!
But I totally understand. When you are used to being skinny, it SUCKS having a little pudge here and there!
You lost 40 pounds in 5 weeks! Sounds like you're on your way.
Teachers who can afford trainers? Wow!
Thanks for the book recs!
So, are you doing the syncronized type schedule?
5 1/2 hours is lovely!
http://theshapeofamother.com/
this website saved my sanity when i was post-partum.
I only carried one, who was small, and carried small, and gained 28lb. I was an 8-10 prepreg (waist likely smaller, but had to get bigger to fit my hips). I also made a point of sucking in my belly/gut multiple times a day to keep some muscle tone.
I was back in some of my prepg jeans (those with more gaping waistbands) at 1 week. But even so, I still have extra bely flab and skin that's not getting better even now. (My uterus definitely isn't contributing.)
Some twin Moms get back to normal, some don't. Hope the exercising helps you feel better!
I have so much flabby skin on my belly I have to tuck it into whatever I am wearing. Currently I have one of those front lumps that *large* women get below their waistline. ew. And the last 2-3 weeks of pregnancy I developed so many stretchmarks... I have every intention of getting a post-partum belt tomorrow!
But I DO know I will have to accept my post-partum body. I know that I will never look like I did before (which was a curvy size 12). My boobs are larger and lower, my stomach has even more to it, and my butt is... different.
I will do everything I can to get back into shape, but at the same time I know that if I never get rid of my spare tire, it was still worth it.
But I'm still breaking out the spanx ;)
I AGREE....
I actually was about to post a picture of me and my belly...my 4 weeks (un)pregnant belly...because I'm so self conscious about it!! (So I'm going to share it with tons of people I don't know online...LOL)
But undressing in front of hubby...NOT FUN. I had two barely stretch marks beginning on my belly the week before the kids arrived. I had tons of comments from people who did my ultrasounds and NSTs that I had the most beautiful twin belly....
Then the kids came out...and my stomach is all covered in stretch marks...WHAT??!! Maybe they pulled a bunch when they were taking the kids out??!! I don't know??!! And my belly totally hangs over my inscision...EW...and I totally have a mom-butt...not cute.
And the sagging boobs...unbelievable. Girl I am so right there with you. I'm not looking forward to the 6 week appointment because then hubby and I can get it on....well...I am looking forward to it....BUT...THE LIGHTS WILL BE OFF. :o)
TMI TMI TMI.
Can't wait to hear how the shred goes...I may try the belly bandit like that one gal suggested...I've heard good things about it! (Plus it sounds kindof effortless) *wink*
Hang in there girly!! We're right there with ya!!!!!!
I do have a belly bandit... but I can only wear it off and on. It is too hard to sit on the floor with it and bend over, and with the twins, I am constantly on the floor so that I can interact with both of them. I wore the belly bandit a lot more at around 3 weeks- and honestly, I didn't notice a difference from that.
I only wore the belly bandit for a couple of weeks because then it got superfluous. My belly was already flat, so what was the point? I know what you mean about the discomfort, though. It's not a comfortable thing to wear, especially when you're sitting down.
I felt like I noticed a difference daily, though. At the end of a day of wearing it my belly was actually flatter than at the beginning of the day. I know that wasn't my imagination. But maybe that was just the way my tummy reacted. I'm sorry it doesn't seem to be doing the same for you:(
Post a Comment