Thursday, May 6, 2010

Figuring Things Out

It feels like we're starting to finally get into a consistent pattern and it feels like I'm finally starting to figure things out. I think reflux really threw us for a loop and derailed any attempts we had made before that point. I feel like I am beginning (finally!) to discover what each of my babies' cries mean, as well as learn what they need right away, not after running through the long list of: hungry? overtired? bored? in pain? hot? cold? dirty diaper? gas? ...and so on.

I've figured out what each baby needs to go to sleep when they are fussy from being overtired. That Anna like fabric touching her face and being held sideways close to your chest. That Sam likes being vertical on your chest and when his butt is sticking out, he's sleepy enough that you can probably try to set him down. That if all else fails, our blow dryer is a fail-safe option, but if you get to that point, you might be listening to the blow dryer for a few hours. (Although I recently discovered that the Happiest Baby on the Block CD has a blowdryer track on it! I ordered it right away- hopefully it will be here asap!) We're working on avoiding needing overtired soothing techniques by teaching them to fall asleep on their own without soothing. We've been doing well at night, now it's time to work on that during the daytime.

We're working on a consistent time schedule right now during the day, now that we've got bedtime going pretty well. We used to let the babies dictate when they started the day, and dictate every single nap- which had a tendency to get nuts with two babies that have very different napping and eating styles. We're working on getting a good compromise between the two, starting with a wake-up time of 7:00 am right now. Hopefully that will start our day out on the right foot and will help us stay on on consistent time schedule throughout the day.

Now I'd like to move on to figuring out how to get my babies to tolerate car rides and stroller rides. I'd really like to take them for walks during the day by myself to break up the day, get some fresh air and exercise, and get out of the house. I'd really like to be more able to take them on errands during the day. Right now they can't stand either. Apart from keep plugging along with it to get Sam and Anna used to car and stroller rides, I have no idea how to make it more enjoyable for them (and me, ha!) I'm welcoming any tips...

8 comments:

Courtney said...

Sounds like you're doing an awesome job!!

Spit Happens said...

I can tell by the tone of your post that things are starting to get a little more manageable. Not that twins are ever "easy", but if anyone can handle them it's you! Good job listening to their cues and finding out what they need/want. A schedule is an excellent idea especially when you have twins. Putting Lexi on a schedule was one of the best decisions for us. It got her into a consistent eating pattern and napping pattern during the day and gave me more predictability to plan out my days even though as you know, they are never predictable regardless of how schedule driven you are.

I don't know what to say about the car rides and stroller rides. I guess it's like anything (like Lexi with tummy time :)) that the more they experience the more they will learn to tolerate it. So maybe just starting out with short frequent car trips and stroller rides and then as they get used to it, you can try longer trips. I hope it all works out!

Kerri said...

Oh my gosh, implementing a schedule (albeit a loose and flexible schedule) was one of the best things I've done for my sanity. And I didn't do it until Camden was 4 months old, so you're ahead of me on that one. Before then, I had no idea what to expect from day to day, and just felt totally out of control-- not a good feeling for Type As like us! And I was only dealing with one child-- I know it's an entirely different ballgame with 2.

I agree with Ellie about the stroller/car rides getting easier with time. Camden was not a huge car ride fan for the first few months & just last week we took him on a long road trip and he did just fine. I just made sure to take him on little errands a few days a week to get him out and used to things. Even though he didn't like the car much at first, he always did really well once I was in the grocery store or wherever. Are the twins like that?

I agree that stroller walks are a great way to get out of the house and exercise-- both good for mommy's sanity! Good luck, Katie...things will continue to get easier little by little.

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed that your little ones are already learning how to put themselves to sleep. Don't know when we'll get there with Emma...right now, it entails holding and bouncing her for a good 30 minutes and then slowly, carefully putting her down trying to not make a sound and then running away :) That's too bad they don't like the stroller...hopefully that will change so you can get out and enjoy the spring weather with them.

Paula Keller said...

Hey, thanks for that very honest earlier post about how hard twins can be. I know you're not alone though, I've read a few blogs where twin moms felt completely overwhelmed and out of control. I'm sure we'll have our moments like that too. I'm also sure that nothing we hear can prepare us!

Even with the pregnancy after IF, I feel guilty about complaining, which is kind of ridiculous because pregnancy is HARD!

Lucky Jones said...

I'm so glad you are feeling better :) it's great that you know the cues with each - I'm still trying to figure it out, especially with Dylan. He's progressively vetting more and more high-maintenance, especially these last couple of days. And super jealous about self soothing! I try it with both babies -if I put them down next to eachother one will hit the other, but if I don't Dylan will cry his eyes out and Riley just looks around and won't sleep. In fact Dylan is snuggled up next to me as we speak...

I don't know what to tell you about the walks and car rides. Have you maybe tried putting them down for a nap in their carseats when you want to get out? I also agree in taking short trips or walks....

Nicole said...

maybe they dont like the stroller? maybe they arent comfy in the car seats? perhaps music while driving? or blow dryer noise while driving? gripe water?

Lauren said...

That sucks that they don't like the car. Noah loves the car. The carseat, not so much. But he loves the car, and never cries when he's in it. It usually puts him to sleep, but even if it doesn't, he just sits there quietly once he's in there.