Saturday, January 14, 2012

Mama Loves Great Apps For Wee Ones

Mama Loves is a linky party where mamas can share anything that has made your life easier as a mama.


Maybe you've found:

  • a toy or book that captivates your child(ren)
  • gear you just can't live without
  • a recipe your choosy toddler gobbles down
  • a parenting book that you've found perspective changing
  • an activity that wears your kid(s) out (these lead to good naps, which we all love)
  • an outfit that flatters your post-baby body and makes you feel fabulous
  • or anything else you're loving--creativity welcome!
To link your own Mama Loves post up, head on over to Julia's blog, Pontifications of a Twin Mom!

Manic Mother

_________________________________________________________

I mentioned a while ago how I'm relaxing on the media time for my toddler duo lately.    We still rarely watch tv and rarely have screen time on other devices (ipad, computer, etc.), but I can say I've found a plethora of apps that are perfect for Sam and Anna.  I did a lot of digging online and found some lists of good ones before I bought.  Today I'm sharing the apps that Sam and Anna particularly enjoy.

When they were younger (around 18 months old):
* Magic Piano (free)
One of Anna's faves, you can try to play real songs or just plunk out notes on different keyboards. 

 
*PoppinBubbles (free)
Poppin' Bubbles is a fun simple game where you pop bubbles as they fall or rise.  Good for hand-eye coordination practice or a distraction when you need it.

*I Hear Ewe (free)
Sam's favorite.  When you tap on an animal or vehicle icon, the game will verbally announce what type of animal or vehicle it is and play a recording of its real sound. I wish there were real images of the animals or vehicles instead of cartoony ones like some other apps, but Sam loves it, so I can't argue with that.  It's neat to watch them develop their auditory ability as they try to imitate the sounds.

Now that they are older (almost 2 years old)

* Talking Gina (free- noticing a trend?)
Say anything, and Gina repeats your words.  Sam and Anna get a kick out of this.  If you rub her belly, she sways and says "mmmmm."  Now Sam and Anna will say the same sound and make the same movement if they really like what they are eating.  It's cute.

* Itsy Bitsy by Duck Duck Moose (not free- $1.99, but worth it)
One of the best out there for small children, this app is interactive, educational, and includes the song.  Sam likes to make the water rush out of the water spout, while Anna loves to make the girl jump up and down on the water puddle to make a splash.  Everything does something when touched on the screen.

* Fish School by Duck Duck Moose ($1.99 as well)
All of the Duck Duck Moose apps I've gotten are great (Wheels on the Bus and Old MacDonald as well), but these too are the best.  This one will even be good as Sam and Anna get older, as I can see the kindergartners in my classroom liking this app.  It has activities for letters, numbers, shapes, colors, matching, and more!   

I would definitely say that these are the top 6 apps I've found for our ipad for our almost 2 year olds to enjoy! 

3 comments:

Julia said...

What a great post, Katie!

Apps come in so handy at the doctor or any time we have to wait with the girls. Good to have some new ones to try---they've pretty much memorized the colors app we have :)

championm2000 said...

We've been wondering when to introduce our phones and apps to the babies. These suggestions are perfect. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I downloaded a couple of these for my 21 month old. She LOVED the I Hear Ewe one. My husband said, "I hope this was a free one." It's so basic, but she really liked to be able to fully control it. Thanks for the recommendations for toddler apps!