Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Change of plans

Earlier I had mentioned that we were satelliting the monitoring for our IVF because our RE's office is 2 hours from our home. I was happy last year when we were told that was an option. It would be so much more convienent to drive to my usual OBGyn's office and complete the u/s and b/w, and we thought we might save a little money on top of that.

Now that the time is actually upon us, Sue, the nice nurse,( I would say favorite- but she's the only nurse at the RE's that we've spent any time with) called my OBGyn to confirm that she could and would in fact do this. Guess what? My OBGyn is leaving the clinic in less than a month. That's one strike. Then, as we were finding out more details, we found out that if we still satellited with a different OBGyn, I would still have to take the 2 hour drive for weekend and holiday monitoring (the 4th of July will fall during this cycle).

Strike number two.

And finally strike?

Now that we know how much the u/s and b/w would be locally- it will still probably be less expensive for me to drive 4 hours round trip every other day for a few weeks until all is said and done with the IVF.

So I bet you have figured out by now that we are no longer doing a satellite IVF. It is a very good thing that my last day of work for three months is tomorrow- because I've already started my next full time job: The Munchkin Mission.

10 comments:

MelissaP05 said...

Aww Katie, I'm so sorry things couldn't have worked out better for you to see your OBGYN in town instead of having to travel. But maybe this is a blessing in disquise, you will be under the best supervision at your RE and if there are any problems or hiccups along the way (which I am praying doesn't happen), you'll be in the right place for the RE to decide what to do next. I know traveling that far for so many days is going to be stressful, but YOU CAN DO IT!!

Lucky Jones said...

Ugh that stinks... but driving always relaxes me, so hopefully it will be a nice drive for you. And yay for quitting your job soon! I wish I could do that right now!

Looking forward to our BFP's in early August ;)

Melissa G said...

Oh man. Like we haven't been thrown enough curve balls already? That is so frustrating!! What are the odds that your OBGyn would be leaving NOW?!

Fortunately your schedule should be clear... But jeez - TWO hours each way - ugh. It's still awesome that you'll have so much time to devote to "your misssion". =)

twondra said...

Wow. I'm so sorry about your long drive! So sorry about all the strikes. :(

Kerri said...

Oh my goodness...that is A LOT of driving! But hopefully it will be well worth it in the end. I love that you're calling it "Munchkin Mission"- so cute!

Word Nerd said...

Ugh! Our RE is an hour away and we had to go up there for weekend and holiday appointments (Memorial Day fell during my cycle). The extra driving stinks, but bloodwork was actually way cheaper at my RE's office and I didn't have to endure a room full of babies and big bellies while I waited. A couple of really bad appointments were the waiting room was extra full made me want to drive the extra hour! Good luck, hun!!

Searching for Serenity said...

Change can be so frustrating, but it sounds like you are prepared to adjust and stay committed to your mission. Pick yourself up some great audio books and drive carefully.

Courtney said...

I'm sorry you had to change your monitoring plans. That stinks. :-( Hopefully the time spent driving will go by quickly for you and just remember this will all be worth it in the end!

Lucky Jones said...

Whoops I misinterpreted :) At least you get time off during summer though... GL, keep us posted!

Carli said...

Katie - How frustrating. I am sure that this is not a curveball that you expected or that you needed, but I am so glad that you are able to roll with the punches. 4 hours round trip sounds like a lot, but hopefully it won't be too painful. Mine were about 2 1/2 to 3 hours round trip, so I feel your pain. Maybe you can find some good books on tape/CD for your trips? Or some good music on the radio?