I feel like a big fat failure. I feel like I'm failing at taking the best care of me and therefore my babies and I feel like a failure as a kindergarten teacher because I am in an impossible balancing act between meeting my needs and the mammoth needs of the students in my class at the beginning of the year.
If you've never stepped foot into a kindergarten classroom- it is a bit deserving of combat pay all year round. It isn't like the older grades where you can give them an assignment and just expect them to work independently for a while. If all year round kindergarten is like combat, the beginning of the school year is like World War III. The kids aren't used to the increase in work load from preschool, and coming from where there were probably more than one teacher in the room (if they have any sort of prior school experience at all). They all want you to tie their shoes, ask to go to the bathroom, and need help writing their name on their project (and doing their project) all at the same time. Meanwhile 50% forgot the direction that came after "go sit down," one may be crying because they miss their parents, one probably wet their pants, etc. It is a feat in itself to maintain control, accomplish some sort of work beyond learning the rules and routines and stay sane at the beginning of the school. This year- I have quickly discovered I have an above average LOW class of 21 students that are at school all day long. I have 5 students that really need one on one help all the time. And that, I simply cannot give because I am only. one. person.
NOW add in the fact that I am supposed to drink 8 16 ozs of water a day (which I've never gotten close to and even attempting it of course makes me pee all the time), eat every two hours, and "rest" during the day. I don't have time to drink, eat, pee, AND rest. I barely have time to think (which has also proven to be more difficult this year- darn pregnancy brain.) If I rush to eat and pee when the students are out of my room for special classes or recess, then I have no prep time to get things prepared or lesson plans written. And what happened to my stamina??? I can't read a story or sing a song without getting out of breath. My rear hurts when I sit down in the little plastic chairs that know how to hit my PIO welts just so.
I just feel like I can't do it. I just can't do both. I can't be a good teacher and do what is best for my babies all the time. Every day, at the end of the day, I feel bad that I didn't put my babies first all the time and eat or drink or rest more. I feel bad that I'm not being a good teacher and instilling the rules and routines as well as I usually do.
Oh, and add in the fact that this morning, while carrying my bags in to my room, I lost my balance and fell hard onto to school floor. Damn loosening ligaments. I of course, start crying thinking- that's it; I'm the worst mom ever- I am going to miscarry my babies because I carried too much and put school farther ahead than them. What a very nice way to start the week- and the school day. Right now my left ankle, knee and elbow and hand hurts. I'm praying hard that my abdomen doesn't start hurting.
11 comments:
Awh. You are an awesome teacher, and will be an even more awesome mom. I'm in KinderHeck right there with you. The first month or so is BRUTAL. You forgot to mention the fact that we have to hear "but I don't WANT to" about 50 million times a day. (sigh) Have you had any pant-poopers yet? I have. :(
Wow, rough day. So far I've never managed to drink that much water in a day. I have a water bottle that probably holds 16oz. If I'm lucky, it gets emptied twice while I'm at work. I'm in an OR. I can't eat every 2 hours, nor can I pee that often, nor drink so much. I try to make up for the drinking after work. But 8 16oz glasses sounds excessive - I'd have thought 8 8oz glasses?
Your kids are growing fine so far, which is the best sign you're doing well. Have little snacks stashed around the room or in your desk. Drink from a water bottle. Get yourself a better chair. Can they get you a teacher's aide?
It sounds insane, but just do what you can, for the kids and for yourself and the babies. Are there any kids who are ahead of the game who could buddy up with the hopeless ones to help them out a little? (Can you tell I'm not a teacher? :) )
Every working mom has these thoughts. That's how you know you're going to be a great mom - precisely because you care so much about doing a great job. You'll find your footing, it'll just take a while. Nothing in this process happens when we want it to, right? :)
((HUGS)). You are going to be a fantastic mom, and you're already a fantastic teacher. It's a lot to balance and get used to anyway (just reading your description of a kindergarten classroom made ME tired), but trying to do that when your body is going through so much is just doubly hard. But I know if anyone can do it, you can. Above all, though, take care of yourself. I know that might seem impossible with a classroom full of kindergarteners who so desperately need your attention, but there is nothing more important than your little babies right now. I think you'll figure out a balance as the school year goes on.
PS- I haven't ever been able to keep up with the daily water intake they recommend. It's like you said, I'd spend all of my time in the bathroom if I did.
Ahh...sending hugs your way. Hopefully you'll find a nice rhythm soon that makes you feel ok on both the work-front and the baby-front. I definitely, definitely am not drinking that much water. Can you keep granola bars or something in your desk? I try to keep one with me at all times. Just do what you can - that's all you can do, right? Hang in there and sending more hugs your way.
Sending you lots of (((HUGS))). I'm sorry you're so stressed. You are going to be a great mom, though, and I have no doubt that you are a great teacher too! I hope that things get easier as the weeks pass on. Does your school have teacher's aides that could come help you out?
Sending warm hugs your way! I know it is tough, but this will pass too just like other bad times have! By being aware about your responsibilities for the babies and the school, you are making an extra effort to care for them. Your babies will be just as strong as you and you are going to be a great Mommy! Few more weeks and you will probably get in to more of a routine! You are very close to the end of your first trimester! I am counting down for you! :)
Oh Katie, rough day, huh?
Just remember, starting school is always a bit overwhelming for everyone involved. I'm sure as the days go by the kids will get more settled and understand what's expected of them.
Regarding falling down, my friend always used to tell me that you have so much amniotic fluid, especially early on, that the babies are well-cushioned. They probably didn't even feel a thing.
Give yourself a break and remember, one day at a time.
Lots of hugs going your way.
These first few weeks are SOOOOO HARD. I totally know how you feel. I am constantly realizing that I'm starving and grab something really quick to eat while teaching through mouthfuls of pretzels or cottage cheese. The students haven't minded too much...they just ask when their snack time is. :o) I just say "Mrs. W's tummy gets hungry really fast so it hurts...eating will help her feel happy right now." I'm going to have a bunch of obese students!! (Eating makes me happy too mommy!!) :o)
As far as the water thing...I bring three 16 oz. water bottles with me every day....and try to have one next to me at all times. But the going to the bathroom is definitely hard. I have a "bear jar" where I put a handful of counter bears in the jar if everyone is listening. If my aid can't come into the room (we have one aid for three classes) I just tell them that I need to go to the bathroom and they'll get bears if they're quiet!! Thankfully I can go pretty fast!!! You gotta do what you gotta do!!
By the end of the day I do find myself slacking on some of the rules...packing up gets a bit wild at times because Mrs. W is just sitting in her big chair...huffing and puffing away, wondering if its an okay to run to the bathroom again. *sigh*
Plus you heard about me and missing the IEP meeting!!! That was a doozy.
Balancing both is hard...I'm not sure that I'm doing a great job...but I think I'm just trying to remember that my babies come first. The kids will learn...it will be okay...I don't know if any preggo woman can give 100% like they used to...we're all pooped!!! Just get help when you can and find the most comfy rolly chair possible and roll away...no harm in sitting and teaching!!
And try to get a shoe tying monitor...one student who can tie shoes for you...when our bellies get big...there's NO WAY we're gonna be able to bend down like that!! :o)
I'm so sorry that you fell...that is always scary, but I am sure your babies are doing JUST FINE. Plenty of fluids in there!!!
Thinkin' about you!!!
((Hugs)) I know it's hard and overwhelming, but try to cut yourself some slack. You'll get into a routine in a bit of time, and I'm sure that the kids will learn their routines soon too. Don't be so hard on yourself. You'll be a great mom!
Oh, Katie, I'm so sorry you had such a hard day! I don't know how you're doing it. Can you take leave for a while? Or would the school give you an assistant or intern? Or sheep herder to herd all the kiddos up for ya?
Post a Comment